Evergreen Valley High School  Logo
Overview Principals Message Associate Principals Campus Map Directory Facilities Rentals EVHS Photo Gallery Mission Statement News R.O.A.R. School Site Council Student Accountability Report Single Plan for Student Achievement Staff Resources WASC Alumni Welcome Videos Academic Support Services
Registrar Attendance Area Locator How To Visit Freshmen Registration Night New Student Orientation Welcome Videos
Academic Integrity AP Classes at EVHS AP Summer Work AVID Common Core Counseling Cyber High Free Tutoring Naviance Student Support Services Summer School
Overview CCS Athletics Website Gender Equity
Activities Anonymous Hotline Bell Schedules Class Pages Clubs Daily Announcements Graduation Library Research Center Performing Arts School Bank School Photos Student Handbook Student Events and Use of Facilities Student Store The Cougar Report Student Support Services
Attendance-Behavior Parent Center Latino Parent Coalition ELAC African-American Parent Coalition Parent Teacher and Student Association (PTSA) Speech and Debate Boosters (IPACE) Vietnamese Family Resources Food Service Forms & Links Graduation Internet Safety Parent Handbook School Loop Student Support Services Traffic Safety Volunteer
Alumni Band Boosters Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) Speech and Debate Boosters (IPACE) Student Mental Health Support Services


Wellness Materials

PPT, Word, Excel Viewers [Go]
Acrobat Reader [Go]

Stress Handouts

PPT, Word, Excel Viewers [Go]
Acrobat Reader [Go]

Student Support Services


Caparas, Amanda Student Support Services Coordinator

Student Support Services (SSS) Referral Form

Please use this link to submit a referral for a student, or visit this site: http://forms.doc-tracking.com/48252/226256/1009. Referrals are prioritized by urgency and need.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If a student is in imminent danger or risk of harming themselves or others, DO NOT submit a referral. If during school hours, find an administrator or other adult right away, or contact an administrator at (408) 347-7174. If after school hours, contact 911 or EMQ Mobile Crisis Unit at (408) 379-9085.

Student Support Services Program (SSSP)

Mission of the SSSP

“Increase academic success by providing students and families with educational, personal and social support in a safe learning environment.”


Welcome to Evergreen Valley High School’s Student Support Center.


Student Support Services (SSS) is staffed by a School Social Worker or Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Mental Health Interns, Community Based Organizations, and works collaboratively with staff at the school site and District office.  


SSS Provides a number of free and confidential* services and supports to the school community including:

   Crisis intervention, educationally related mental health counseling services, support, and case management.

   Building trusting relationships with students, families, and school personnel.

   Maintain the confidentiality of student and family.

   Home visits to understand and address barriers to learning.

   Linking students and families with school and community resources.

Family Support

   Collaborating with all school personnel to assess students’ social/emotional obstacles to academic success.

   Assist teachers and administrators in developing plans to help students with academic and behavior problems.

   Develop/facilitate/coordinate wellness prevention and intervention programs and activities.

*Some services may require parental consent


Issues that May Prompt a Student Support Services Referral:

  • Mental health issues

  • Suicidal ideation

  • Abuse or neglect

  • Lack of basic needs/homelessness

  • Pregnancy, teen parent needs

  • Change in academic performance

  • Chronic attendance or tardiness issues

  • Gang affiliations

  • Coping or social skills deficits

  • Facilitation of school-home-community communication

  • Student advocacy

  • Referral, monitoring, collaboration to and with community agencies

  • Staff support and/or development

  • Substance Abuse


When should I refer a student to Student Support Services?

A student should be referred to the Student Support Center when the student shows signs of social and/or emotional difficulties, which are interfering with the student’s success at school.


How do I make a referral?

Click here to submit a referral. Referrals are prioritized by urgency. Other referrals may be waitlisted. Referrals can also be made in person with a walk-in form located at the Student Support Services office, located in Building D, Office D108.


IMPORTANT NOTE: If a student is in imminent danger or risk of harming themselves or others, DO NOT submit a referral. If during school hours, find an administrator or other adult right away, or contact an administrator at (408) 347-7174. If after school hours, contact 911 or Uplift Mobile Crisis Unit at (408) 379-9085.


Student Support Services Staff Contact Information                                       


Amanda Ha Caparas, ASW, PPSC  

School Social Worker

Student Support Services Coordinator

Phone: (408) 347-7102

Email: CaparasA@esuhsd.org



Agencies on Site

Alum Rock Counseling Center - Mobile Crisis Response and Counseling


For more information: (408) 240-0070


Other Community Resources


Uplift Family Services Crisis Hotline 408-379-3796 http://www.upliftfs.org

Alum Rock Counseling Center Mobile Crisis Unit 408-294-0579 http://www.alumrockcc.org



Child Protective Services (CPS) 408-279-2071 http://ag.ca.gov/childabuse/pdf/ss_8572.pdf



Bill Wilson’s Centre for Living with Dying 408-243-0222 http://www.billwilsoncenter.org


Emergency Shelter/Food/Clothing for Youth and Families

Bill Wilson Center (Youth & Young Adults) 408-243-0222 http://www.billwilsoncenter.org

EHC Lifebuilders 408-539-2100 http://www.ehclifebuilders.org

Inn Vision 408-292-4286 http://www.innvision.org

Catholic Charities 408-325-5277 http://www.catholicharitiescc.org

Second Harvest Food Bank 1-800-984-3663 http://www.shfb.org

Loaves and Fishes 408-998-1500 http://www.loavesfishes.org/cms/

To Register as Homeless with East Side Union High School District, Contact Rose Ortiz 408-347-5202 ortizr@esuhsd.org


Victim of Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence or Crime

YWCA of Silicon Valley

Victim Witness Assistance Center 408-295-2656 http://www.svfaces.org/victim-witness.html

Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence


Substance Use/Abuse

Asian Americans for Community Involvement 408-975-2730 http://www.aaci.org

Asian American Recovery Services 408-271-3900 http://www.aars.org

Alcoholics Anonymous http://aasanjose.org

Al-anon and Alateen http://www.al-anon.alateen.org



Youth Space 408-343-7940 http://youthspace.org

PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) http://www.pflagsanjose.org


Mental Health Agencies

Medi-Cal County Mental Health Referral Line 1-800-704-0900

Asian Americans for Community Involvement 408-975-2730 http://www.aaci.org

Alum Rock Counseling Center 408-294-0500 http://www.alumrockcc.org

Almaden Valley Counseling Services 408-997-0200 http://www.avcounseling.org

Bill Wilson Center 408-243-0222 http://www.billwilsoncenter.org

Catholic Charities 408-468-0100 http://www.catholicharitiescc.org

Community Solutions 408-225-9163 http://www.communitysolutions.org

EMQ Families First 408-379-3796 http://www.emqff.org

Gardner Family Health 408-918-2600 http://www.gardnerfamilyhealth.org

REACH 1-855-2REACHUS http://www.reach4scc.org

Starlight Community Services 408-284-9000 http://www.starsinc.com/starlight.php


Legal Advocacy and Support for Youth in Santa Clara County

Legal Advocates for Children and Youth (LACY) 408-293-4790 http://www.lawfoundation.org/lacyasp

Victim Witness Assistance Center 408-295-2656 http://www.svfaces.org/victim-witness.html


Health Insurance

Medi-Cal http://www.medi-cal.ca.gov

Healthy Kids http://www.scfhp.com

Foothill Community Health Center http://www.sjffcc.org

Kaiser Permanente https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/html/kaiser/index.shtml

Santa Clara Valley Medical Center 408-885-5000 http://www.scvmc.org/Pages/home.aspx



Useful Links


Articles on Stress

"Stress is making our children ill: Here is what we can do about it" http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Stress-is-making-our-children-ill-here-is-what-10831007.php

"Want to Get Into College? Learn to Fail." http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2012/02/01/19perez_ep.h31.html



66 Positive Things You Should Be Saying to Your Child http://familyguideto.com/around-the-web/66-positive-things-you-should-be-saying-to-your-child/



If you have a student that requires immediate attention please contact an administrator. DO NOT EMAIL

Professionals Required to Report Suspected Child Abuse


Individuals designated as mandatory reporters typically have frequent contact with children. Such individuals may include:

  • Social workers
  • Teachers and other school personnel
  • Physicians and other health-care workers
  • Mental health professionals
  • Child care providers
  • Medical examiners or coroners
  • Law enforcement officers

How To Report Suspected Child Abuse


1. Call the Department of Family and Children's Services Child Abuse and Neglect Center at tel. (408)299-2071.

2. Complete a State of California Suspected Child Abuse Report (SS8572)

3. Mail the written report (SS8572) within 36 hours of receiving the information concerning the incident to the:

Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children's Services

Child Abuse and Neglect Center

373 West Julian St. - Second Floor

San Jose CA 95110


Mandated reporters have immunity from civil or criminal liability as a result of making the report.

Failure to report a suspected abuse carries a punishment not to exceed six months in jail or $1000 or both.

The identity of all persons who report shall be confidential. No supervisor or administrator may impede or prohibit reporting.